Monday, September 03, 2007

One of my favorite pages from the 3rd issue of the Weapon



This is one of my favorite pages from the 3rd issue of the Weapon- Originally i hadn't any idea of what to put in panel one - it was supposed to be an uncaptioned shot of Volcanoes National Park. I had some reference for Hawaii, but it was all green and lush and mountains and water and I didn't want to repeat what I'd done in other parts of the series, so I went looking and found a volcanic lava flow credited to the park and smacked my head - of course! Lava! And it would look great with a sunrise over the mountains - AND I could do it all in silhouette. I think the panel took me a little over 20 minutes to draw, I just went in with some ink after sketching a zig-zag pattern. Paul caught it all and really made it shine.

In panel 2 I looked at a lot of what Frank Cho does with his jungle scenes and tried to think of what I could do in mine. The palm fronds in the upper right hand side of panel 2 were the most fun to ink - i just took out my brush and bam! the time of day (early morning) helped out tremendously in staging different shots - I could use silhouette liberally and I think it helped out the compositions. It especially helped in panel 3, where Paul really caught everything I imagined could be in there and more. really lush greens and pale blues and burning reds next to stark black - he did a fantastic job.

I also liked the layout here - i don't often get a chance to break up the page like this: full top tier horizontal, verticle 2nd panel, breaking up the rest of the page into a smaller rectangle where I put the final 3 panels. Fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home